Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A real trophy



One thing is for sure that people are not normal. Even if they seem that way it is not true. Actually it is much worse when they seem normal because you begin to have certain expectations of them and the end result is bound to be disastrous. I give you an example. Between the age of 8 and 10, my life ambition was to be recognized as someone who recites poetry in a unique way. I would enter into various competitions, in schools and public places. Poetry reading was fashionable and well respected in circles where I grew up in Europe. A cute little girl, I am told, with glasses, long brown braids, full of freckles, I would come on stage, following other already well recognized actors. Looking for equal recognition and admiration - hoping to be rewarded with a modest bouquet of flowers at curtain close. As a consequence of a serious strep throat infection, however, one day, my performance at school’s literary club competition, came to a quick halt. My disappointment was so deep, that during my convalescence, I became obsessed with a plan to remedy the situation.  Determined, but unable to come up with any solution,  all I could think of, that my hard work and anticipation of how my recital was going to be received, cannot be for nothing. On the first day back to school I arrived early and marched straight into the teacher’s office area – a scary and forbidden place, where no kid would voluntarily enter unless he is deadly sick or was summoned for a detention. Teachers looked at me in passing as I heard myself demanding to see the principal. She was a serious, no nonsense person – a skinny old lady, who, I was convinced knew nothing about me or feelings in general. What should I say to her? I wondered. Fearful and doubting, but driven by passionate desire to set my record straight, I just stood there, as out of nowhere, I heard her voice: “what can we do for you Lilla?” To my biggest surprise, I told her how, due to unfortunate circumstances, I lost not only my place in the school competition, but most importantly, I was prevented from presenting the poem I studied, rehearsed, formed a relationship with and was ready to interpret with my own feelings. The principal listened and asked me to step in to her office. By then, I was terrified, but had no option, “the dice has been thrown”. Behind closed doors, the principal looked at me and asked if she could hear my poem? All of a sudden, I found myself in another world, giving my absolute best, as I realised that from then on everything was going to be all right. That day, on my way home from school, I was another person: more confident, proud of having a newly acquired knowledge and first hand experience of justice: a real trophy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was really fun to read.
It had made my morning.
I dreamt of you and I last night-I was telling you passionately that I too was an artist and my artistic ambitions can not be downplayed...you are a hard act to follow indeed!

Love you,

Suzy